Skip to main content

Bacterial eye infection

Both bacterial and viral eye infections are contagious (usually from person to person). The only way to tell the difference between bacterial and viral eye infections is an eye exam from an ophthalmologist. Most eye infections are viral, and are very infectious. Bacterial eye infections are less common and are treated with antibiotic drops and pills, and treatment of the underlying cause, such as chronic blepharitis or lid infection. Viral eye infections are treated with artificial tears, mild steroid drops, and drops to prevent redness and itching. Special care is necessary to avoid giving the infection to others, including careful hand washing, throwing away eye make-up and contaminated contact lenses, and trying not to rub the eyes. Be careful of "persistent" or "chronic" eye infections — they may be something else entirely, such as chronic inflammation from blepharitis or dry eye. Don't stay on steroid drops for more than a few weeks. I just saw a patient who had been treated with steroid eye drops for a chronic lid infection from his primary care doctor. The patient wasn't getting better, so he kept re-filling the prescription, and after six weeks of (ineffective) treatment, he had steroid induced glaucoma in both eyes (and a stye which wouldn't go away)

Popular posts from this blog

PF-ROM Exercises

"Pain-free range of motion’ or early mobilization exercises can help you heal" PF-ROM is physical therapy talk for “pain free range of motion.” When a therapist evaluates an injury, he or she will be interested to see how far you can move affected joints without hurting. Sometimes, of course, you can’t move at all without pain. But in most injuries, even many serious ones, you will have at least some painless movement. And whatever you’ve got, you should use. When you are hurt, the pain-free range is your new best friend: that’s the range you’ll be exercising in for a while. Pain free range of motion exercises are also known as “early mobilization.” Use it or lose it “Use it or lose it,” they say. And it’s true. While many seemingly simple medical questions are controversial, this one appears to be straightforward: plenty of recent research demonstrates that early mobilization is A Very Good Thing. A 2006 study of people with surgically repaired achilles tendon ruptures sh...

A Short Story

A silent, anonymous place I was still a child the last time I’d seen it. The hospital was an anonymous place my parents had taken me to, somewhere in the big city, far from home. I didn’t know where I was at the time, but when I saw it again as an adult, there was a match with something stored in my skull: the outline of the building like a stack of building blocks, the primary colours, the silence that seems out of place around a place built for children. Medical science failed me in that hospital. I was diagnosed early with “slow growth syndrome,” and this was the first mistake that science made with me: giving it a name. Slow growth syndrome is no syndrome at all. Some people grow slowly. So what? I was small for my age. I didn’t have a pathology: I had a velocity. I was taking my time. Nevertheless, the doctor wanted to keep an eye on me, so my parents dutifully took me back every two years to be measured and the pace of my growth evaluated for more distressing signs of oddity. I...

Don’t waste your money on expensive trainers

Expensive running shoes offer no benefit in terms of cushioning impact and overall comfort compared with 'cheap' trainers, reported The Times and other newspapers on October 11 2007. The researchers found that “no amount of built-in air bubbles, shock absorbers or other cushioning makes a difference to the overall pressure on the foot.” The stories are based on a study that compared the performance of low-, medium-, and high-priced running shoes in men while they were walking, and in a smaller group who ran. The interpretation by the newspapers that this study has shown that expensive trainers do not protect runners’ feet is not quite accurate as the “running” part of the experiment was small and the researchers themselves state that “it was not possible to reliably detect differences between pressure in shoes from different brands and across cost ranges”. Importantly, the participants in the study were normal runners. They didn’t have any gait abnormalities such as over or ...